The Road to the Isles Half Marathon, 10k, 5k & Walk on the Wild Side - Saturday 12th May 2018
Half Marathon (£27) - 11am
The Road to the Isles Half Marathon is an absolute must for anybody looking to challenge themselves physically against a backdrop of breathtaking scenery. The stunning route sees runners snake through ancient woodland, jog by pretty coastal villages, run beside glorious beaches before going on to pass Loch Morar, the deepest freshwater loch in Britain; River Morar, the shortest river in Britain and Loch Nevis, the deepest seawater loch in Europe. The Road to the Isles Half Marathon is more than just a road race, it’s an experience!
The undulating 21km half marathon begins at glorious Arisaig House where participants will receive a high octane warm up before setting off along a fairly level route through the beautiful fishing village of Arisaig. Runners will then go onto follow the old Road to the Isles towards Traigh. From Traigh it’s onto Morar and the long straight into Mallaig, crossing the finishing line at the West Bay car park.
10k (£27) - 12pm
The 10k starts at Traigh Beach car park where participants will be treated to panoramic views of the Small Isles as they prepare for the off. Runners will receive a high octane warm up before setting off towards Loch Morar, following the same route into Mallaig as the half marathon and 5k.
5k (£10) - 12.30pm
Why not join in with the spirit of the day and walk or run the 5k? This lovely route meets the half marathon and 10k participants on the banks of Loch Morar, snaking through the village and back to the finish line in Mallaig.
Walk on the Wild Side (£25) - 10am
If running isn’t your thing, you don’t need to miss out on the action, why not sign up for Walk on the Wild Side? This great walk follows exactly the same route as the half marathon with water stops, first aiders and marshals on hand to help out if needs be.
The above routes provide an enjoyable challenge for all ages and abilities and sights such as the Silver Sands of Morar will boost your morale all the way to the finish line! So what are you waiting for? Sign up today and get involved in our relaxed and fun Bank Holiday event. If you need more of a reason to participate, the Road to the Isles Half Marathon is a fundraising event organised by and for Mallaig Pool & Leisure Centre. All monies raised will go towards the Leisure Centre’s refurbishment programme so you’ll be helping to keep our community fit too. The £25 fee includes:
- Water stations will be provided at four locations throughout the race.
- Race marshals will be in place to direct participants at all junctions.
- British Red Cross first aiders will be available throughout the race.
- Delicious homemade refreshments will be provided at the finish line.
- All participants will receive a goody bag, medal and complimentary use of the swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi to relieve sore muscles.
Check out our route map here.
To keep up to date with developments and for further information, visit our dedicated Road to the Isles Half Marathon page.
Detailed information will be emailed out to participants two weeks prior to race day; however, we have answered some frequently asked questions below:
- Registration - Participants are welcome to register during the week running up to race day at Mallaig Leisure Centre during opening hours and from 8am at Mallaig Community Centre on race day.
- Getting to the start line - Participants can be dropped off and waved off by loved ones who are welcome to temporarily park at Arisaig House. Parking at the start line for the entire day is forbidden. Participants can also take advantage of our free coach service from the finish line at Mallaig Community Centre from 9am on race day.
- Transfers - We appreciate that injury/training issues can get in the way of aspirations and are therefore more than happy to transfer participants from one race to a more appropriate race with a minimum of one weeks notice.